Scientific Instrument Commission

  2006 SIC Symposium



General information


Local Organizing Committee

Second Announcement


Hotel registration

Post-conference excursions

International Conference of the European Society for the History of Science in Krakow 2006

Krakow and Poland


About the Jagiellonian University Museum

SIC home

Archive or past conferences



The central theme of the symposium is East and West: The Common European Heritage

The evolution of science through the ages has been stimulated by the political and economical situation, which was and still is in some particular regions of the world. It results from the directions and speed of the evolution of science, as well as from tools employed by it. Plenty of inventions and scientific discoveries appeared as a result of some historical circumstances which overlapped apart from the scientific attitudes of scholar's or inventor's work.

Thus, at the same time they have an essential effect on his achievements.

The Lands of Central Europe which found their geographic position under the impact of East and West have special experiences based on such circumstances. These influences has been functioned in both directions. Science in this part of Europe drew extensively from the West. At the same time the scholars, as well as mechanics, migrated, and that strengthened the scientific potential to develop the art of making of scientific instruments in Western Europe. Did the mutual relations and influences become an element which enriched the European science heritage? In this context we can try to interpret questions considering the history of the making of scientific instruments.

The XXV Scientific Instruments Symposium will be held at the Jagiellonian University Museum in the building called Collegium Maius. Coffe and tea will be served in the Museum, lunches will be served near the Museum.

Collegium Maius is the seat of the Jagiellonian University Museum, that is the oldest university in Poland. The Krakow Academy was founded by the Polish King Casimir the Great in 1364. History of the first building goes back to the year 1400, when King Ladislaus Jagie≥≥o purchased the house and donated it to the Academy.